Monday, July 11, 2011

Blanket Beliefs (Abortion!)

Pro-Life Protest in Daley Plaza-Chicago, IL-July 11th, 2011

I took this picture right outside of the Protestants for the Common Good office.  It has been quite some time since I have seen a protest like this, and I don't know if that is because I have housed myself within spheres of pro-choice normativity but there is nothing like the site of mutilated fetus' to cause one to pause. 

What is interesting to me about the abortion debate is the clear dichotomy, split right down an imaginary and all too real political line that divides our political parties regarding the issue.  That's fine and to be expected, as you have some who are pro-choice and some pro-life (I don't like that name, pro-life. If I am pro-choice that does not mean I hope the choice is 100% abortion all the time.  I like life too...I think).  But what is terribly bizarre is why being pro-choice or pro-life automatically must set ones other views on things like taxation, foreign policy, social welfare, healthcare, etc.  Someone who thinks that abortion is murder should not necessarily think that extension of the Bush tax cuts is a good thing.  It is pretty clear that causation runs in some sort of direction and is motivated by certain factors, and I mean that 100% on both sides of the coin.  Someone who thinks abortion should be legal should not necessarily support affirmative action.

What's the deal?  Are we all too lazy to really think about what we support?  Are certain issues like abortion of such a high priority that we'll take whatever we can get?


No comments:

Post a Comment