Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Surely God is in this place...

This morning, in an act that is completely uncharacteristic at this point in my life, I found myself reading this week's Lectionary texts.  As I read the first selection, Genesis 28:10-19, I found myself being lulled by the familiarity of the story which tells us of Jacob's Ladder--a dramatic account of stolen birthrights, flights from danger, and visions of angels.  All of these elements make for a truly great story, but, it's so often used, I find my eyes glazing over as I skim through the text.  Counterfeit blessing, sibling rivalry, fleeing for life...yada, yada yada.

I've read this passage so many times...it's hard to imagine finding something new in the text.  But today I did.

As I scanned the words, I found my eyes glued to this line, "Surely God is in this place--and I did not know it!"

I grew up in a Southern Baptist Church.  As a preacher's kid, I've been to my fair share of weddings, funerals, ordinations...you name it.  And I'd say a good 90% of those events featured some teary female soloist singing "Surely the Presence of the Lord is in this Place" from the bottom of her good southern heart.  Don't get me wrong; I love a good solo.  And I love crying to hymns.  In fact, I flat out can't help it.  A sincere hymn brings me straight to weeping.  But never, in all my time of Sunday School and hymn-singing and being moved by the Spirit did I notice the wonderment that is captured in Jacob's declaration.

"Surely God is in this place--and I did not know it!"

Jacob is awe-struck.  He's completely caught off guard.  He's been running around in circles and finally, exhausted, maybe even a little delirious, he's seen God.

When I was a student at Vanderbilt Divinity School, I wrote my master's thesis on wonderment--a nebulous idea, I know--but an essential piece of our theological experience.  I think, sometimes, in the face of political unease, financial hardship, and the unending grind of daily life, we forget to open our eyes.  Whether by means of a stairway to heaven, a Madonna in blue jeans cradling her infant on the subway, the words of our present-day prophets, or a lightning storm rushing in over Lake Michigan, it is my hope that we can become aware of the presence of God all around.  May God be with us.  And may we know it.

--Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment